- Potential Carbon Monoxide Sources in the Home

 


What is carbon monoxide?

Carbon monoxide (CO) is a colourless, odourless, deadly gas. Because you can't see, taste or smell it, CO can kill you before you know it's there. Today's more energy-efficient, airtight home designs contribute to the problem by trapping CO-polluted air inside the home.

Why is carbon monoxide so dangerous?

The great danger of CO is its attraction to hemoglobin in the bloodstream. CO is breathed in through your lungs, and bonds with hemoglobin in your blood, displacing the oxygen which cells need to function. When CO is present in the air it rapidly accumulates in the blood. It will eventually displace enough oxygen in your system to suffocate you from the inside out, resulting in brain damage or death.

Where does carbon monoxide occur?

A common by-product of appliances that run on flammable fuel, carbon monoxide can be emitted by gas or oil furnaces, refrigerators or clothes dryers, water heaters, fireplaces, wood stoves, charcoal grills, gas ranges and space heaters. A clogged chimney or improper venting can cause problems as well.

How can I protect myself from carbon monoxide poisoning?

The US. Consumer Product Safety Commission recommends installing at least one carbon monoxide detector per household. When you are about to purchase a new CO Detector, make sure it is approved to the latest standards.

Where do I install my carbon monoxide detector?

Near the sleeping area, according to the Consumer Product Safety Commission, which recommends at least one detector per household. A second detector located near the home's heating source adds an extra measure of safety.

Article courtesy of: Shell Busey

 
- return to the list of I-Handyman.com -
July 17th, 2018